Sunday, April 02, 2006

Buttons


Vintage Buttons 3
Originally uploaded by Iris Susan.

Yesterday I met a dear friend for lunch. We hadn't seen each other for a year or more...so we had a lot to catch up on. After lunch we went to a nearby historic village...Old Washington Kentucky. Many historic buildings and most have antique shops. We found a magnificent stash of buttons in one of the shops and I couldn't help myself...I came away with this little collection.

Most of the buttons are made from shell. I have been told that there was a button factory in the area many years ago. The story goes that they would dredge the river for mussels and used the shells to make the buttons. Many of these buttons aren't finished on the back so you can see part of the outer shell. If anyone knows anything else about this type of button I would love to hear from you.

I have added another picture of the same buttons...they reflected the camera flash but it shows how shiny and colorful they are.


Well... we sprang forward today and I forget to set the clocks last night. I slept in this morning so instead of feeling like I lost an hour it feels more like I lost two hours. It always takes me a week or more to get used to the change.

1 comment:

abeautifulcraft said...

Lovely buttons and the shell ones are gorgeous!